Stem cells from umbilical cord blood taken at the time after cutting the umbilical cord between mother and child.
After birth, groups of stem cells, which were found in umbilical cord blood, begin to change. Therefore, the labor situation, which is only available once in a lifetime, to collect and preserve the unique cells for possible future use.
The entire procedure of taking and sending stem cells to the central laboratory in Belgium, a port vBulletin, said the MD, PhD. Mima Fazlagić, a gynecologist-obstetrician, research associate company Cryo-Save, and Spasoje Sredanović LIFE from RF Solutions (exclusive authorized partner company Cryo-Save for Serbia).
Parents who choose to keep your child's stem cells, after full knowledge and obtain answers to all questions in the LIFE RF Ltd., signed a contract.
Immediately before delivery getting set for the collection of blood, which allows the doctor to collect the cord blood.
To ensure the successful deposition of the sample of stem cells, it is very important to follow the procedure of taking and storing samples.
The procedure of taking stem cells:
- Immediately after birth, it is klemovati umbilical cord, as usual. It is necessary to do things faster, so that the sample had a higher number of stem cells.
- Cut the umbilical cord between two clamps, and the baby removed from the sterile environment.
- It is necessary to sterilize the umbilical cord at the point where the needle sting. The injection site should be several inches above the clip (terminals). The pin must be connected to a sterile bag for CPD blood.
- If possible, it is necessary to completely fill the bag (it can hold about 250 grams or 300 milliliters of blood), ensuring that minimum levels in the bag must be 80 ounces (35 milliliters of the CPD anti coagulant). When it finishes, it is necessary to squeeze out the remaining blood from the intestine into a bag.
- The hose before cutting needle, it is necessary to bind at least two security facilities, in order to prevent leakage during transport. The needle must be cut and separated from the bag.
- A bag is necessary to turn a few times up and down, to mixed blood and CPD anticoagulant. Then put in the supplied bag, which prevents leakage of the secondary, which is supplied (this bag is a 'biohazard'). It is necessary to squeeze the air out of bags before its closure approaches. For safety reasons and to ensure that parents are their child's stem cells stored separately, they will be identified with a unique bar code. Parents receive the appropriate certificate with the same bar code.
- This is packaged in a sample is taken styroform box, and so that its bottom is placed on a pad with a blue gel on it is placed with a sample bag, a bag over the need to put another pad with a blue gel.
- Styroform box is then closed its own cover and back in the original carton. Such a kit ready to courier delivery or the child's parent (father).
- Umbilical cord blood to the moment of delivery courier has to be kept only at room temperature. Basic cause is in no way put in the refrigerator or freeze.
Price - EUR 1,800
Shortly after birth, the cord blood takes authorized international courier service, or to Belgrade brings the child's father, and then promptly forwarded to the central laboratory in Belgium.
European leader among private - family stem cell bank, is a Belgian-Dutch company Cryo-Save. In this bank is kept over 115 000 samples of stem cells from around the world.
During the examination and preparation, stem cells are stored by the latest technology and is determined by their quantity and quality. Then divide into two courts, and freeze at temperatures below minus 180 degrees, the gas phase of liquid nitrogen - at two separate locations, for added security. This is called cryopreservation.
It's nice to know that in Serbia there is such possibility. And to you to decide if you want, or if you have the ability to take advantage of the moment of birth of your child and save its stem cells - as collateral for his health in the future. Of course, the desire to never be needed.
Taking and storing cord blood is not entitled to compulsory health insurance and the cost of the procedure shall be borne by parents. Total costs - which include transportation, processing, freezing and storage of stem cells, and to the first 20 years, and the eventual delivery if needed, is around 1,800 euros.
Disposal of stem cells is the legal age a child in the hands of parents, and then all the rights transfer to the child whose cells are deposited - so it can decide whether to continue with the preservation or to terminate the contract.